Re[2]: Chernobyl and Psychosomatic Illness

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Keith Welch noted:

> One last thing, the report did get it's subtle jabs in.  I noted a
> statement by the reporter refering to their rushed tour through parts
> of the unit 4 plant.  They stopped by the control room but could not
> stay long, the radiation levels there were still "a thousand times
> normal".  In my book that's about 5-10 mrem/hr.  Why is the public
> being led to believe that to stay in this environment for more than a
> few minutes is extreeeeemly risky?

I agree with Keith in that the sole mention of radiation levels as "a
thousand times normal" is deliberately misleading.  Think of how a 1000X
statement would apply, in the public's perspective, to temperature, sea
level, gasoline prices, commuter distances, cost overruns, budget
deficit, etc.

On the other hand, how many viewers would compare it to a 1000X more
xenon in the air than normal?

Rick

Richard G. Strickert, Ph.D           |  "Errors using inadequate data
Radian International, Austin, TX     |   are much less than those using
512-310-5259, FAX 512-244-0160       |   no data at all."
Internet: rick_strickert@radian.com  |     - Charles Babbage (1792-1871)
 ---> "All written IMHO." <---       |