Re: Cesium Clocks

At 19:46 29.04.1996 -0500, you wrote:
>RadSafe:
>
>Does anyone have any technical information regarding an electronic component
>commonly referred to as a "cesium clock"?  I understand that this device is
>widely used in aerospace, satellite, and communications technologies.  My
>primary interest is the quantity of Cs137 used in a typical device.   A brief
>description of the internal workings of a typical clock and the type of
circuit
>it would likely be used in is also be helpful.
>
>Thanks for any info you can send to me.
>
>Steve M. Dean
>
>========================================================================0

The correct explanation of the "cesium clock" has been given by other
collegues.

What I personally wonder about is a somewhat psychological problem: Why do
people associate with the word "cesium" automatically the radioactive
"Cs-137"? Too much Chernobyl in the head of us scientists? I am no exception!

Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry and Radioactivity in Food
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
AUSTRIA