Subject: Re: Iodine Bioassay: NUREG/CR-4884
Author:  stabin@esper.com at hubsmtp
Date:    5/11/96 9:56 AM

Gus Potter wrote:

>     For iodine, the f1=1, meaning all iodine in the stomach goes
>     immediately to the systemic whole body, and the only inhalation class
>     is class D meaning that there is no long term lung retention.  Since
>     this is the case, the inhalation and ingestion models act the same
>     (after a few days after intake) except for the 37% exhalation that is
>     assumed in the lung model.  Therefore, you should just be able to
>     multiply the ingestion IRFs by 0.37 to get those from inhalation.  To
>     account for the radioactive isotopes, you can just multiply by the
>     decay factor.

Not quite.  There is some significant decay of I-131 in the lung on its way
to the systemic circulation.  Note the difference in thyroid Us's in ICRP 30
for inhalation and ingestion.

I don't have the NUREG here at home, but I will look at it when I drop in at
work.  Between that and ICRP 54, I find it hard to believe there are no
available IRFs for inhalation of iodines.  But if not, I can calculate some,
and will post them.

Mike Stabin
Radiation Internal Dose
  Information Center