Re: THORIUM MANTLES

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Eric L. Darois wrote:

>      My experience is that the "new" gold top mantels DO NOT contain
>      Thorium.  Look for the "green" top..

I suggest looking at the instructions/precautions on both gold and green
topped mantles by Coleman.  The last time I checked there were NO
instructions on the back of the green top mantles which would have
indicated that thorium was present, i.e., do not eat mantle, wash hands
after handling ash, this contains a material known to the State of
California to cause cancer, etc.  Older mantles had these
warnings.

BTW, I did buy several mantles from an "off" brand at Wallmart about 6
months ago.

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say they are not the opinion of my
employer. - Paraphrased from Michael Feldman.