feedback of HP role

<---- Begin Forwarded Message ---->

Angela Michelle Coulter <gt6826a@prism.gatech.edu> wrote ---

What is a helath physicist's role:  that of educator, innovator,
technician, or neutral enforcer of rules?  Or is it to make
money?
Anyone wishing to reply to this can send it to
gt6826a@prims.gatech.edu or
can leave thru radsafe if anyone is interested.

Thank you for your input in advance.

Michelle Coulter
Georgia Tech student
<----  End Forwarded Message  ---->

Angela Michelle,  If you want to make a lot of money, DON'T GO
INTO OPERATIONAL HEALTH PHYSICS!  The IRS and the American
Nuclear Society consider health physicists to be technicians. I
became a health physicist because I enjoyed being an educator.  I
left operational health physics when (1) it was not longer
satisfying and (2) operational health physicists were being
forced to practice according to a series of "health physics
cookbooks" which eliminated most, if not all, of the creativity
that used to be such a rewarding part of the profession for me.
I'm still an HP, but no longer an "operational" HP.

Sincerely,

Bill Schadt PhD, CHP a.k.a. Mr. QUEST
Radiation Technology, Inc.
P.O. Box 10457