SNAP generators and Pu-238 -Reply

James Watts wrote in part

>Does you have any info on the amount of Pu-238 in the various SNAP
>generators?

Note that often the activities/amounts were classified:
SNAP 3A 95 g Pu-238  navigation satellite
SNAP 7A Sr-90 41 kCi light buoy
SNAP 7B Sr-90 225 kCi land light
SNAP 7C Sr-90 41 kCi weather station
SNAP 7D Sr-90 225 kCi floating weather station
SNAP 7E Sr-90 31 kCi undersea beacon
SNAP 7F Sr-90 225 kCi  offshoreoil rig
SNAP 9A Pu-238 ~1 kg DOD satellite
SNAP 11 Cm 242  activity classified, lunar surveyor
SNAP 15A Pu-239 2-3g nuclear weapons use
SNAP 15C Pu-239 activity classified, communications
SNAP 17A, 17B Sr-90 activity classified, developmental
SNAP 19 Pu-238 activity classified, weather satellite
SNAP 21 Sr-90 activity classified, deepsea use
SNAP 23 Sr-90 activity classified
SNAP 27 Pu-238 activity classified, Apollo lunar surface
SNAP 29 Po-210 activity classified, space applications
 These come from the CRC handbook of Radioactive Nuclides 1969

> Also, as I recall something burned on reentry in the 1960's,
>resulting in a Pu-238 background.  Any details on that?

This probably refers to SNAP 9A launched April 1964 and burnt up on
reentry.

>Please reply directly to wattsjr@ornl.gov to minimize network clutter.

No need for a bunch of folk to track down the same info - something that
can happen if the answers are not posted.

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
ORISE
framep@orau.gov