Re: Slit Lamp Eye Exams

Hi All,

I spent 8 years as an Navy Nuc ELT. For those who dont have a feel for
that, an ELT does the operational HP work, the dosimetry, the tech work
and the water and radio-chemistry in support of the Navy Nuc Propulsion
program. Also, we often got thrown the IH work and hazardous waste jobs.

About the eye exams, I would say that we were not exposed to much neutron,
not sure how much more I can say due to the fact it might contain
classified data though. But as far as my dose goes, I would estimate than
less than 5% of my lifetime dose would have been from neutron, most from
repair work and overhaul at prototype (CRUD) and N-16 during ops.

Tritium. I do not speak for the Nav, but in my opinion, they made several
simplifying assumptions, and one being that basically tritium was
not a major radiological problem at the levels found in the primary
coolant, and safety measures for other, easier to find isotopes took care
of the hazards of tritium where ever it was found. Based on dealing with
coolant during analysis on a daily basis and spills frequently during
overhaul, I agree. Without going into detail, the isotope make up of the
coolent was determined and monitored on a set schedule.

A goal of health physics is to provide a safe work environment for the
work personnel and protect the general public. The Nuc Navy does that
probably to the extreme, having their assumptions balance with
conservative (restrictive) levels, constant training and verbatim
compliance, yet still deal with personnel attrition, work and
environmental conditions, battle readiness and Navy moral and hierarcy.

-Bruce Busby
 bbusby@umich.edu

BIG DISCLAIMER: I am not in the Navy *any more*  and these are only my
opinions.