Clarification on the Packaging Thread

I didn't mention specifically DOT 7A Type A packaging requirements in the
original post (relative to DOT 17H or IA2 drums).  However, as Roy Parker
correctly points out:

-----------------------------------

". . .We  are talking  about 17H and 1A2 drums as the basis for DOT 7A Type
A packages.

If you  have qualified a DOT 17H drum as a DOT 7A Type A package then it
remains a  DOT 7A  Type A package as long as you meet all the parameters in
your required documentation.

If you  have a  1A2 drum then it must be qualified in your documentation as
a  DOT 7A Type  A package.   This  may be as simple as documenting in your
Type A package documentation the structural equivalency between the
17H and 1A2 drums for your application.

The  UN  uniform  classification  and  packaging  standards,  use  after
October 1, 1996,  and acceptance  by a waste contractor is not relevant when
we are talking solely about a DOT 7A Type A packages . . ."

-----------------------------------

Indeed, my comments were more appropriately targeted for the transportation
of hazardous materials (i.e., chemicals) rather than LLRW.  Knowing that a
lot of us radsafers work jointly with campus hazardous waste managers (and
tend to swap drums around), I thought the post contained some relevance.  I
should have been more specific, and I apologize to those that were mislead.

Regards,

-Erick Lindstrom

P.S.  To those that requested the articles, I'll be getting those out soon . . .

 Erick Lindstrom
 Radiation Safety Officer
 309 Montana Hall
 Montana State University