Radium where you least expect

I hate to rehash an old thread or beat a dead horse but there are apparently
many RADSAFE users still associated with the Navy.  Another source of Radium
is the ships compass, at least on surface ships.  I don't know the activity
present but I recall being able to detect it with 2"x2" NaI detector through
a wall.  We also found an alarm clock this way.  In addition we had several
hand-held compasses that contained tritium in Curie quantities.  These were
stored in our Radioactive Materials Area but once again no surveys for
tritium performed.  I don't know how susceptible compasses are to leakage
but it does raise an interesting question.

These opinions are mine, all mine!!
Kim D. Merritt
kdmerri@sandia.gov