Re: Measurement of Neutron Exposure In NPP?

At 12:25 PM 6/5/96 -0500, Bob Flood wrote:
>Thus, the NRC accepted dosimetry and survey instruments
>calibrated to moderated Cf-252 for use in American nuclear plants.

They don't really pay me to "what if" things to death here, but I like to
throw it in for free anyway.  ;-)  So in that spirit ....

Do some employees at NPPs handle bare isotopic neutron sources? Say, to
response check criticality monitors in fuel storage areas, to calibrate or
response check portable neutron survey instruments, or something similar? If
so, is it common practice to issue separate dosimeters for those jobs and
apply a different set of correction factors to those results?

Kim McMahan, CHP
Office of Radiation Protection
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
P.O. Box 2008   Oak Ridge, TN  37831-6290
Ph:  (423) 576-1566
e-mail: mcmahankl@ornl.gov

Sola fide . . . Sola gloria . . . Soli Deo gloria