FiestaWare -Reply

The primary radioactive contributor to fiestaware is uranium.  The uranium is a component of the glaze which
gives it the bright orange color.

Your health concerns are valid.  I would not eat off of the plate.  Also vinegar in Italian salad dressing can
cause some of it to leach out into your food.  I was recently out to my fathers house in MN and confiscated
one of the plates.  (I didn't think my little brother and sister should have been eating off of it.)

When I got back to my office it read 0.2 mrem/h.  Most of the dirt at my Superfund sites read lower than that.

Mark Winslow - US EPA - Region II