Re: Newspaper Story About Soviet Pu Workers in 40's and 50's -Reply

Last August, a visiting scientist from Obinsk gave a seminar in Oak Ridge
on the Radiological Consequences of Radiation Accidents in the
Southern Urals.  The following is a summary of my very hastily scribbled
notes.  My apologies in advance for any mistakes - the lecture was being
translated and sometimes difficult to follow.

Three major releases were mentioned that occurred in the southern
Urals:

Long term releases into the Techa River from 1948 to 1956 and beyond.
These releases amounted to approx. 3 million Ci, primarily of Cs-137,
Sr-90 and Pu-239,240

The 1957 Kyshtym Accident that released 20 million Ci

Releases in 1967 to the air in the Lake Karachi area amounting to 600 Ci.
This incident was not discussed further due to time limits.

Techa River
The first Soviet reactor was located on this river and began operation in
1948.  Large releases continued until 1956 when major improvements
were made in the form of holding ponds.  At that time, radiation levels up
to 5 R/hr existed on the lake banks downstream and levels in the range
of 100's mR/hr existed in nearby villages.  Water concentrations in 1951
were 1500 Bq/l of Sr-90 and 20000 Bq/l of Cs-137.

1957 Kyshtym Accident
A total of 20 million Ci were released but about 18 million quickly
deposited on site.  The remaining 2 million were released up to a height of
about 1 km and to a distance of about 300 km.  The long term problem of
this incident is primarily Sr-90.  Average population doses in the area
were about 7 rads with the maximum up to about 100 rads but with a
large uncertainty.  For workers, doses ranged somewhat higher and
lung cancers and stomach cancers have been observed in this
population.  A total of 1500 people were exposed to levels sufficient to
cause radiation illness.

If anyone has any additional details or info on other incidents, I would be
interested in hearing from you.

David Simpson
ORAU
simpsond@ORAU.GOV