Re: FiestaWare -Reply

Mark, there is absolutely no intent of personal criticism in my comments
here.  My comment is purely generic.  It was just your note that finally
caused me to want to reply.  In my, not so humble opinion, this nearly
universal reaction to low level radiation speaks more to the over concern
for superfund sites than to the presence of any real health risk.  Perhaps
Grand Central Station in New York City should be a superfund site.  How
about Denver?

Peace,

Don

At 03:02 PM 6/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>The primary radioactive contributor to fiestaware is uranium.  The uranium
is a component of the glaze which
>gives it the bright orange color.
>
>Your health concerns are valid.  I would not eat off of the plate.  Also
vinegar in Italian salad dressing can
>cause some of it to leach out into your food.  I was recently out to my
fathers house in MN and confiscated
>one of the plates.  (I didn't think my little brother and sister should
have been eating off of it.)

>When I got back to my office it read 0.2 mrem/h.  Most of the dirt at my
Superfund sites read lower than that.

>Mark Winslow - US EPA - Region II

Donald A. McClure
 E-Mail: DAMcClure@lanl.gov