Re: FiestaWare -Reply

At 07:27 07.06.1996 -0500, you wrote:
>Mark Winslow (among others) stated:
>
>>The primary radioactive contributor to fiestaware is uranium.
>>The uranium is a component of the glaze which gives it the bright orange
>color.
>
>Could all you guys be wrong about the glaze?  I was in a class a couple
>weeks ago, and the instructor was firmly of the opinion that the uranium in
>Fiestaware is a natural component of the CLAY, not necessarily the GLAZE.
>
>Albert Lee Vest           The Ohio State University
>Health Physicist           Room 101 Research Center
>(614)292-1284                     1314 Kinnear Road
>vest.1@osu.edu               Columbus OH 43212-1168
>My employer did not review or approve this message.

The supervisor of the instructor should have reviewed or approved the
instructors "message": If the radioactivity, which equals the one emitted
from glaze with 14% uraniumoxide, would come from the clay, then I would
recommend to use the clay for production of uranium!!!!!

Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Vienna, AUSTRIA
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 Wien