(Fwd) Sr90 Beta Dosimetry

Date:          Fri, 7 Jun 1996 12:13:33 -0600 (MDT)
To:            pgonzale@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us
From:          mcnaught@Lanl.GOV (Mike McNaughton)
Subject:       Sr90 Beta Dosimetry

You wrote

>I want to thank all of you who responded to my question regarding
>Sr90 with CaF2 and LiF chips.

This seemed like an interesting question, but did I miss the response(s)?
Perhaps they were sent to you directly?  If so:
a. I would be interested in the conclusion(s)
b. Perhaps others would like a brief summary also

Thanks, mike

Stay safe, mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)

****************
Mike and others,
I'm glad you asked me to post this on radsafe, else I wouldn't of
thought this would be of interest to others.
I recieved many responses that were quite similar.  The overall
conclusion.....The total density thickness of the filter materials
effected the result.  The total filtration of the CaF2 (552 mg/cm2)
stops betas below about 1200 KEV whereas the LiF (80 mg/cm2) stops
betas below about 300 KEV.  Therefore, there aren't as many betas
particle getting to the CaF2 chip.  (The Ta and Pb in the CaF2 are
blocking the beta particles to the chip.)
If anyone would like more information, please let me know via mail or
phone.

Sincerely,

Paula H. Gonzalez
Texas Department of Health