Re: Ingestions vs. External Exposure from Uranium in the Glaze of Fiestaware

At 12:54 07.06.1996 -0500, you wrote:
>Al --
>
>And I might add that the chemical toxicity of natural uranium exceeds that
>of the radiological hazard and hence the standards are based on chemical
>toxicity.
>
>Ron Kathren

Thanks for reminding us on this - often unknown - fact, which I had also
forgotten for a while!

I suppose you refer to standards regarding ingestion. We can only calculate
the risk from ingestion and compare it to legislation if we knew the
leaching rates. Is there no radsafer out there who knows about leaching
rates? IŽll inquire at my institute on Monday myself.

Anyway: Fulfilling the legal regulations by keeping exposure below the
maximum permissible one is one thing - to minimize exposure, which probably
is even in the USA a legal requirement, is another one. Especially if it
easily can be done.

Franz Schoenhofer
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7