RE: -Reply to question on survey instrument lifetimes

This response relates to the question on instrument life expectancy.  My experience with
instruments that are used sporadically (ie not daily) and that have regular annual calibration,
as well as repair as needed, is that they last a long time.  For us, this means at least 10 - 15
years, including lots of transport in cars, planes , and as checked baggage.  In fact they
become somewhat dated before they fail, although they still do the job.  I do not have data on
how much is spent on repairs or maintenance.

On a different, IMPORTANT issue:  PLEASE always include a specific and detailed subject for
messages.  If you ever try to search the RADSAFE database (which is a tremendous
resource) the searchable words in the subject line make all the difference in the world.

Todd Jackson CHP
Region I
tjj@nrc.gov

Disclaimer:  Opinions are my own, not reviewed by anyone else.