Re: PLANNED RADIATION EXPOSURES

--Boundary-2335710-0-0

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Regulations, 10 CFR 50, Appendix I,
"Numerical Guides for Design Objectives and Limiting Conditions for Operation
to Meet the Criterion 'As Low as is Reasonably Achievable' for Radioactive
Material in Light-Water-Cooled Nuclear Power Reactor Effluents," provides
"guidelines" for what the NRC considers ALARA in the design of nuclear power
plants.  These have been incorporated into the licensing documentation for
individual plants.  For example, for Fermi 2, our limits are:

A.  gaseous effluents:

upper limit - cannot be exceeded:

500 mrem/yr total body, 3000 mrem/yr skin from noble gases
1500 mrem/yr to any organ from I-131, I-133, H-3 and particulates with > 8 day
half life  at site boundary

guidelines which can be exceeded but require reporting and justification

5 mrad/quarter 10 mrad/yr gamma, 10 mrad/quarter 20 mrad/yr beta from noble
gases at site boundary

7.5 mrem/quarter 15 mrem/yr to any organ of identified member of public from
I-131, I-133, H-3 and particulates with > 8 day half life

liquids

upper limit - cannot be exceeded

concentrations at release point less than 10 CFR 20 Appendix B, Table 2,
Column 2 values

guidelines - can be exceeded, but require reporting and justification

1.5 mrem/quarter 3 mrem/yr to total body

5 mrem/quarter  10 mrem/yr to any organ

0.06 mrem to total body, 0.2 mrem to any organ in any 31 day period

In addition, we are limited to the EPA limit of 40 CFR 190 of 25 mrem/yr total
body or any organ except thyroid and 75 mrem/yr to the thyroid from all
uranium fuel cycle sources.

In practical terms:

(1) We have no problem maintaining our effluents within these guidelines.

(2) They are so complex that it is a full time job tracking effluents and
demonstrating compliance.

(3) Since these guidelines are a small fraction of natural background
exposure, demonstrating compliance involves a lot of sampling and modeling.

Bill Lipton

The opinions expressed are stricly my own.

--Boundary-2335710-0-0