Re: RAMP news...

>Here's a quick assessment of the current activities (as of 6/7/96) at the
>RAMP site.
>
>RAMP SITE, DENVER, COLORADO:  ERTC (EPA's Environmental Response Team Center)
>met with EPA's Region 8 and the Colorado Department of Public Health and
>Environment to present the preliminary plan for conducting a radiological
>release survey for the buildings and soils at the site, as well as plans
>for conducting a sub-surface extent of contamination survey for chemical
>and radiological compounds released on-site.  ERTC also conducted air
>sampling of head space in containers to assist the OSC in releasing these
>containers for off-site disposal.

Having not heard from EPA for a few months, I thought I call and get another
update of the grisly process surrounding RAMP.

The results, according to Carol Pokorny, the EPAer in charge of RAMP paper:

-  Not all first request for information responses have come back.  This
complicates settlement options because the volumes from those responses will
affect the total volume at the site, upon which settlements will be based.

-  More documents have been acquired from the site which help clarify
generator volumes.  Unfortunately, these documents have to be copied,
collated, etc., all of which takes time and further delays definition of
volume at the site.

-  A second request for information will go to some potentially responsible
parties (PRPs) in the next 4-8 weeks (at least -- a figure I take with a few
grains of salt), and those responses will also help determine final volume
at the site.

-  There will be no de minimus settlement offers until both the final volume
and the total cost are determined.  The determination of final volume
depends on the second request for information and the integration of the new
documents from the site.  The determination of final cost depends on the
extent of contamination cleanup, and that should be known in early fall.  No
de minimus settlements will be offered until, according Ms. Pokorny (who has
always been optimistic with her dates), until early 1997.

Hope this helps.

A note to those who haven't filed their responses to first requests for
information:  Get on with it -- we're all waiting on you!  ;-)

John

*John DeLaHunt, EHS & RSO * 1125 Glen Avenue          *
*The Colorado College     * Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu* VOX:  (719)389-6678       *
*        Owner:           * FAX:  (719)635-3177       *
*hazmat-l@cc.colorado.edu *                           *
****My opinions only, not those of Colorado College****