Fiesta one more time

Just reorganizing my office when I came across an interesting
article in the September 1992 HP Journal about the leaching
of uranium from glass and ceramic.

As a synopsis, there is BOTH uranium-containing glassware and
ceramic glazes. During the early 20th century, uranium salts
were produced as by-products of the radium extraction industry.
Yellow sodium uranate was used in quantities of up to 25 weight
percent to produce a yellow-green glass. As the atomic bomb era
moved foreward, the U.S. War Production Board largely prohibited
the use of uranium for non-military use. When restricions were
lifted in 1959, the use of uranium salts began again, largely for
dinnerware, with a red-orange glaze. The production of the major
variety (Fiesta) of uranium glazed tableware ended in 1972.

As far as leaching goes, the uranium-containing glass, under test
conditions using 24 hour exposures with (1) deionized water and
(2) 4% acetic acid solution(similar to household vinegar)
represented most typical household uses. The uranium-containing
glassware had minimal uranium leaching. The Fiesta, however,
displayed relatively low 3.9-10.6 ug/liter uranium leachate with
the water, but values of 470-31,800 ug/liter when tested with the
acetic acid solution. With the amount of normal use of this
dinnerware, I wouldn't recommend using acidic foods with the
Fiesta but I wouldn't be overly concerned with health hazards
arising from it.

Again, interesting article.

	Keith Varnado, CHP
	kvarnado@mail.premier.net