radiological controls and contractors

>Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:38:37 -0400
>To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>From: Kathleen McIntyre <mcintyre@mail.sep.bnl.gov>
>Subject: radiological controls and contractors
>
>I am looking for information that describes mechanisms your organizations
have to prevent (minimize) violations of radiological controls by
contractors (subcontractors)...assuming the appropriate radiological
training was provided (with clear instructions of the "Thou shalt nots")...

>1.  Is there a central check-in for contractors so you can
>        a. review qualifications/restrictions (eg access revoked)
>        b. direct them to an on-site RCO contact?
>        c. provide an identification badge, etc
>        d. check if the contractor is qualified (licensed) to operate
vehicles,machinery

>2.  Do you assign a building or project liason from your RCO (or building,
etc) to periodically review the contractors' tasks and adherence to controls?

>3.  Are contractors held accountable for violations?
>        a. Do your contracts clearly specify the consequences of a violation?
>                Are the contractors required to sign a statement indicating
the                 safety requirements are understood? Before or after the
contract is awarded

>                Does your organization follow through with the penalties?
>
>        b.  Do you use the same contractors if a past violation was noted?
>                Are they suspended for some period of time?
>
>4.  Does your RCO have the authority to stop work immediately?
>
>5.  How do you prevent radioactive materials from leaving your facility
without the proper authoization?
>        a. Is there a vehicle monitor?
>        b. Do you require a "pass" to be given to an exit gate attendant?
>
>6.  How do you review that contactor qualifications are current and
appropriate?

>7.  Do you utilize any type of clearly visible ID that would indicate the
areas an individual is permitted to enter without a trained escort?

>        These are a few questions that immediately popped into my head...I
welcome additional thoughts on the process...