What's It Worth?

Interesting viewpoints that raise a couple of disturbing issues:

If the career field is diminishing to the point that CHP after your name may
be necessary to get a job at all or to be considered for a promotion, is
one's time and efforts better placed in obtaining certification or preparing
for a different career? If the availability of jobs has shrunk to the point
that employers can require certification for all positions or for any
meaningful promotion, it is time for HPs to seek employment in other
professions.

Also, if I worked for an employer for some extended period of time in a few
Health Physics positions, and then found myself identified as unqualified to
apply for my old job because I lack a degree in a single specific subject or
board certification, and both of these were adopted as qualification
criteria after I had occupied the job successfully for some time, I'd make
an interesting lawsuit and/or grievance before giving up. Establishing new
minimum credentials not previously required of incumbents in order to
disqualify incumbents has gotten Federal agencies in trouble in the past,
and probably wouldn't be viewed with any higher regard now.

Bob Flood
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.
(415) 926-3793
bflood@slac.stanford.edu