Real-Time Tritium analysis in the field -Reply

Mark --

I'm posting this reply on RADSAFE as well as replying
directly to you, as this may be of general interest.

The Savannah River Technology Center (SRTC) is currently
developing a field-portable "near real-time" tritium in water
capability for use at the Savannah River Site (SRS). Ken
Hofstetter and Paula Cable are both working on this program
... you may contact them at kenneth.hofstetter@srs.gov or
paula.cable@srs.gov.

Paula gave a presentation on this system several weeks ago.
As I recall (my notes aren't handy) the detection capability is
on the order of 100 pCi/l ... and the system has the
capability of multiple input sources (i.e. wellheads).

Please note that this system is still in development, and is
not commercially available. Let me know if you need any
additional info ... and I'll try to locate my meeting notes.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675   fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> DENMBM <DENMBM@AM.DAMES.COM> 06/19/96
18:31 >>>

I am going to be involved in a project in the very near future in
which we will be trying to locate the source of tritium
contamination to the groundwater supply.  I have liquid
scintillation capabilities on-site, but am curious if there are
any methods of doing real-time analysis during the
excavation process.