CHP Discussion

>These are strong words,
>however, if one is fully qualified to do Health Physics and is doing a
>competent job then certification should be rather easy to obtain.

I must disagree.  This comment would imply that the normal passing rate
(somewhere around 30% ... 19% this past year) for the ABHP exam leaves about
70% of all persons qualified to take the exam as "incompetent".  Some people
simply have a difficult time with exams.  Others are extremely intelligent
and highly competent in their particular area of HP expertise, but do not
have the overall knowledge or experience to pass the exam.  There are plenty
of Ph.D.'s who have tried but could not pass the exam for one of these
reasons or another.

In my view, the CHP title indicates _overall_ competence and the ability to
learn and apply from study and experience.  But a lack of such a title does
NOT indicate a lack of such ability.  They are neither mutually exclusive
nor inclusive.

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Operational Health Physicist
(804)249-7551 (w)