RE: Waste Disposal at Universities

John, Kent, et al:

I should have provided more detail in my post.  Let me do so now.

Item 1:
>What happens to the mixed waste once it is returned to the generator?  How do
>you deal with the 90 day storage limit for the hazardous waste component of
>the mixed waste? How do you deal with HPLC fluids which are not considered
>Scintillation but are mixed wastes?

We have had some research using radioactively labeled  hazardous materials
(e.g., labeled DDT).  This is pretty uncommon, and the researchers involved
have arranged to send the resultant materials back to the originator.  Often
this is the same agency that is sponsoring the research.  Note that I said
the "material" is sent back, not the "waste."  Usually the materials that
are returned are in some way useful (e.g. they perform some smapling and
analysis) and the materials are not classified as waste.  If a project were
proposed for which such an arrangement were not possible, the RSO and the
RSC would have to make some decision with regard to the proposed research.
So far, no such proposals have reached that stage.

On the other matter (HPLC fluids), my earlier post was not complete.  We are
able to incinerate flammable solvents, including HPLC media, not only LSC
cocktail. In our parlance, we refer to this class of wastes as LSC wastes,
hence my omission.  Note that aqueous LSC waste is not incinerated.  It is
disposed via the sanitary sewer, as are other aqueous wastes.

Item 2:

>One is to assume then, that your boiler plant has a RCRA or similar permit
>that allows them to burn hazardous wastes such as the F listed solvents found
>in scintillation cocktails.  If not then can we assume you are required to
>burn only the so called "aqueous" cocktails and have a QA program to prevent
>hazardous waste from being mixed in with these cocktails.

Yes; the boiler is permitted to burn these flammable solvents.

Jim Herrold added the following to the thread:

>Another question I'd like to tag onto this thread is this: How would or did
>other Universities recover costs for disposal of contaminated materials from
>decon and decommissioning of RSO related facilities (such as an old waste
>storage building)?

Unless you have a medical or veterinary facility it would seem that most
(essentially all) of the material processed by the RSO is in support of
funded research.  The University should be able to recover these costs in
the overhead/indirect charge.  However, you might have some problem if the
facility were located on a houseboat or the president's residence.  :^)

Dave Scherer
scherer@uiuc.edu