Re: Dry ice Package Requirements

At 08:26 AM 6/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Farhad and Radsafers:
>We do not open dry ice packages during the NRC-required health physics survey
>of labelled packages.  Our survey consists of a wipe of the package and a
>measurement of external radiation levels.  Are you concerned about the effect
>of the cold on packaging materials?
>
>Our researchers are given specific training on opening packages, and they are
>taught to survey for contamination on packaging and vial surfaces.
>
>Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University
>dupre@princeton.edu

  We do open dry ice packages. I open them and survey the outer containers
and then the vials. Then I repack the vail and fill out the associated
paperwork. Then I deliver the packages to the labs.
Wayne Westmiller
Radiation Safety Technician
Cornell University
Department of Environmental Health and Safety
Laboratory and Radiation Safety Section
125 Humphreys Service Building
Ithaca, NY  14853

Phone:  (607) 255-0164