What's it worth? comments (for what they're worth)

Radsafers-

I've seen quite a bit of criticism of the process used by the ABHP to
certify health physicists. Most of the critics are not CHPs, and
therefore I don't feel they have much basis.

If you ask a non high school graduate to comment of the usefulness of
the education system, you'll hear comments remarkably similar to what
I've read here.  Once they're a graduate, the tune changes.  Ditto for
many worthwhile endeavors: "well, it sucked, but I guess I did learn
from it".  (I'm not saying that completion of high school is that
useful, hopefully you see my point.)

I don't believe that the goal of the certification process was ever
intended to demonstrate an individual's ability to do a particular job.
 There are so many variables in any job, the only absolute proof is
performance.  ABHP certification is a benchmark that demonstrates that
the certified individual met a high standard of knowledge (among other
criteria).  As for their ability to pass the exam years later- how would
you do on your first year calculus final today?

The comprehensive certification exam does test in many areas of health
physics.  Those familiar with the exam are aware that part 2 contains
(6) 50 point general knowledge questions, and (7) 100 point specialty
questions, of which (4) are selected by the examinee to answer.  This
structure ensures that an examinee doesn't have to be an expert in all
areas, but must have studied.  Studying various aspects of health
physics broadens your knowledge base, and those who've made it through
the process obviously see value, or wouldn't continue it.  The recent
postings on x-ray exposures are a good case in point for knowing more
than just your occupational area of expertise.  As for PhDs not passing,
I've met a few that would have difficulty peeing a hole in snow.  I've
only met one CHP in that category.

As for the original question regarding the value of becoming a CHP; I
believe it's a valuable experience.  As for being a CHP; it's got to be
more valuable than not being one!

Brian Rees, RRPT, studying for part 2
brees@lanl.gov

(Obviously opinions) stated above are mine, and have no relation to my
employer.