Ethics

If this message has been posted already, sorry, but I keep getting error messages
(e.g., undeliverable mail, you dummy).

TED S. BOHN wrote:

> Isn't it amazing how with the blessing of the Medical field (Dentistry,
> Internal medicine, Cancer treatments etc.) the use of radioactivity is
> often never questioned and is readily accepted ("A SPOON FULL OF SUGAR
> MAKES THE MEDICINE GO DOWN"..Ref. Mary Poppins), where as the nuclear
> power industry is looked down on with disdain by the general public and
> activists work hard to shut them down.  Are Medical facilities ever picketed
> for their adminitration of radioisotopes?  Where is most radiation doses
> picked up by the public, in the field of Medicine or Industry?

Maybe Medicine has provided a clear and unambiguous benefit for the risk from
the radiation exposure that cannot be demonstrated by Industry.  The perception is
that a radiation exposure from industrial sources is caused by accidents and
incompetence rather than the deliberate and considered administration of radiation
to determine if one has a malignancy, kidney stones, cysts, etc.  An environmental
release of radioactive material at a nuclear power plant never lit a lightbulb.

William G. Nabor writes:

>          2) My OPINION is that a technician that cannot calculate a dose and
> explain it to a patient is the equivlent of a mechanic who doesn't know how
> much oil he put in your crankcase.  I think it unprofessional.  It should be
> a mandatory part of their certification requirements.  It is allowed to
> exist because only health physicists ask such questions.  It's a matter of
> patient training.

I disagree.  Using your analogy, it is the equivalent of a mechanic who doesn't
know the content (i.e., the additives) in the motor oil.  The technician that
cannot tell you the technique factors used to generate the radiographic image is
the same as the mechanic who does not know how much oil was put in your car.  You
are asking a technician with 2 years of post high school education to answer
questions which are, as Mike Bohan indicates, time consuming and in some cases
difficult for a highly trained medical physicist to answer.  Can you tell me what
the TEDE is for an extremity exposure which involves the elbow and parts of the
ulna, radius and humorus if the skin entrance exposure is 15 mR at 60 kVp?  What
about the TEDE for a lower GI fluoroscopic procedure at 80 kVp for 5 minutes at 2
R/minute skin entrance exposure where the area under the fluoroscope is moved, but
there is no record of its time exposing any single area?  And what good is this
information if one cannot discuss comparative risks?

With all due respect to Alex Zapantis, the professionals on this listserver
ARE constantly at odds with one another about the risks from radiation at exposure
levels in the range of diagnostic imaging.  LNT is a model for radiation protection
not for risk.  How many additional cancers have been seen from all those people who
have received nuclear medicine procedures?  Who out there believes that a system as
complex as the human body and its interaction with any assult, especially the
complex interaction of ionizing radiation with tissue, behaves with a simple linear
relationship?

I agree that a patient has the right to be informed of the risks associated with
healthcare.  I disagree that the radiological technician is the right person to
discuss these risks.  Why is it that the HP patients are afraid to ask his/her
physician?  Would you ask the operating room nurse or the person transporting you
into the operating room 'Which is more risky, Procedure A or Procedure B?'?  I don'
think so.  The problem, however, is that the physician does not know the answer any
better than the technician.  I was once told by a dentist that he informed his
patients that a dental x-ray was the same exposure as a day on the beach.  I guess
we need leaded bathing suits (now there's a real risk).

Although I agree with Mike Bohan's comments, I think HP's share in the blame.  How
hard have we (through the HPS) lobbied to get radiation protection into the medical
school curriculum and on certification board tests?  If our goal is to reduce
collective doses, and medical exposures are the largest man-made contributer to
collective dose, then wouldn't our efforts educating the physicians prescribing
these tests be well placed?

Merritt, Kim D 7714 M <KDMERRI@sandia.gov> wrote:

> Why aren't those proud CHP's out there interacting with the community to educate
> them?

This CHP has given lectures to high school students, set up booths at science fairs
and career days (back when the Newsletter had ads in the back), and participated at
exhibits for science teachers, given lectures to medical dosimetrists, taught
radiation physics to radiological technologists and taught radiation protection to
industial hygienists on an undergraduate and graduate level.  And I'm sure that
many other "proud CHP's" have done much more of this than I have.  So be careful of
generalizations.

And now, I'll let someone else use the soapbox.

Kent Lambert, CHP
lambert@allegheny.edu

All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not [necessarily] the
opinions of my employer. - paraphrased from Michael Feldman