Re: Beta Skin Dose question

JIM AUSTIN wrote:

>      I am an Instructor at a Nuclear Power Plant and I've heard rumors of a
>      study done at Texas Tech? in which high activity particles were placed
>      on pigs in order to determine the total acute dose at which the
>      earliest non-stochastic effect could be detected. Is anyone familiar
>      with this study, and can you tell me the effect and doses involved?
>      Also as an aside I'd like to know the reasoning behind the use of
>      pigs.
>
>      Thank you.
>
>      Jim Austin
>      austinjd@songs.sce.com

It is interesting that you should ask this question.  One of the most
knowledgeable power reactor people in this field is right under your
nose.  Call Richard Warnock and he can tell you everything that you need
to know.  By the wat, the "pig" study was funded by EPRI and lead by Dr.
Dan Reece.  I believe that Dan is teaching at the University of Texas at
Austin.

Gene Rollins