Re: The "H" term in dose equations

At 05:18 PM 30/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Just my two cents worth, but I think the original question was not what does
>the symbol H stand for, but why H at all??
>
>As it is Equivalent Dose or Dose Equivalent < are these equivalent?>, why H
>and not E or D ?

Dose equivalent (ie prior to ICRP 60) and Equivalent dose (ie after ICRP 60)
are "almost" the same. The difference lies in their definition. Dose
equivalent used radiation Quality Factors which were broadly based on the
Linear Energy Transfer of the radiation in question. Equivalent dose uses
radiation weighting factors which are more or less the same as Q factors but
the numbers have changed slightly in some cases (I think!!). So, strictly
speaking, Dose equivalent and Equivalent dose are not the same, but for all
intents and purposes may be taken as the same (does that make sense to you??).

E stands for Effective Dose and D stands for Absorbed Dose. Why H was chosen
as the symbol for Equivalent dose is beyond me. Perhaps it has some
historical basis.

Regards

  Alex Zapantis
  Radiation Safety Officer
  Queensland University of Technology
  Acting Manager
  Health & Safety Section
  Victoria Park Road                 Ph     : 61 7 3864 3566
  Kelvin Grove Qld 4059             fax     : 61 7 3864 3993
  AUSTRALIA                           Email  : a.zapantis@qut.edu.au

    "From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen."

                                                               Cat Stevens