Re: Regulations from scratch

BRZGV@ccmail.ceco.com wrote:

>      If I remember correctly, many of the major suits were over just a
>      handful of mrem (10 or less)!

Film badges have a LLD of 10 mrem (at least from my vendor).  That means
that anything less than 4 mrem per month (or is it 9 mrem/month?) goes
reported as 'M'.  4x12=48 mrem/year.  So if the majority of the suits are
for exposures of 10 mrem or less, the film badge does not support the
defense.  That means that all of this defensive monitoring is useless.  In
biomedical research institutions, laboratories typically use fractions of a
millicurie per experiment, with a few uses in the 1 - 10 mCi range (e.g.,
initial aliquot preparation, labelling procedures), and rarely >10 mCi.
As  Kathi Elliott pointed out, with these activities of usually beta
emitters, CONTAMINATION is the issue, not external exposure.  Personal
contamination is NOT going to be measured by a personal radiation
monitoring device.

No one has answered the question - At a hospital or university, where do
you draw the line?  Lab workers whose dose is zero, students whose dose is
zero, secretaries whose dose is zero, visitors whose dose is zero?

Kent Lambert, CHP
lambert@hal.hahnemann.edu

All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not [necessarily] the
opinions of my employer. - paraphrased from Michael Feldman