Re: Regulations from scratch-reply to Steve Hand

I agree that the statement that low levels of exposure will not lead to
stochastic effects is unwise (in a beginning radiation safety class).
While I do agree with the statement, I would never make it part of a
beginning class, it's just not something I want to try and defend in front
of 12 people.

With the (over 1,000) people I taught basic radiation safety to (with a
prior employer), I always emphasized that there are risks associated with
radiation exposure, then went on to explain and put risks and exposure
levels in proper perspective.  Many of the students thanked me later for
explaining radiation levels, risk models, and risk levels.  While this took
about 1/2- 1 hour of a 4 hour class, I believe it was worth it, in that
they went away doubting what the media was attempting to feed them (or at
least armed with information instead of hyperbole).

Once people understand that there is no activity free of risk, and low
levels of risk are subject to enormous errors in estimation, all our
defensive work will be simplified.

All the above opinions  are mine, and have no bearing on my employer.

Brian Rees
Los Alamos National Lab
505-667-9980
brees@lanl.gov