Re: Regulations from scratc

        Reply to:   RE>>Regulations from scratch-reply to Steve Hand

When training people about radiation risks and limits, I usually like to  use an
analogy to the speed limits on the highways.  The speed limits are set by
society to balance the risks and the magnitude of potential damage at higher
speeds with the benefit of travel.  Radiation limits are set in a similar
manner.  I go on to make the point that many people travel at speeds over the
speed limit without getting into accidents, but travel at speeds less than the
speed limit doesn't automatically assure safety.  I also make the point that the
radiation limits are set very conservatively to begin with and we then apply
ALARA on top of that.  If we apply ALARA to the speed limits we would keep
everyone driving at speeds of 5.5 miles/hour! (At least, here in Connecticut,
6.5 miles/hr in most of the rest of the USA)   I also make the point that nearly
50,000 people are killed/yr in the USA by highway accidents, but we have to
mount extensive epidemiological studies to even attempt to detect a few deaths
from low level radiation effects.

Michael J. Bohan, RSO   |  e-mail: mike.bohan@yale.edu
Yale-New Haven Hospital |    Tele: (203) 785-2950
Radiological Physics    |     FAX: (203) 737-4252
20 York St. - WWW 204   |    As usual, everything I say may be plausibly
New Haven, CT    06504  |    denied at my employer's convenience ...