Re: I-131 Air Sampling

> Date:          Fri, 28 Jun 96 09:49:36 -0500
> From:          brind002@mc.duke.edu
> Subject:       I-131 Air Sampling

With regard to the sampling of iodine:  we've used paired in-line
charcoal loaded tubes with great success.  Most patient rooms have
vacuum line for suctioning.  They are rarely needed with iodine
therapy patients and operate much quieter than any sampling pump.  To
smooth out vacuum fluctuations we use a limiting orifice in-line with
the tubes.  High flow rates are not needed.

Little has changed in the formulation of therapy iodine.  The
buffered solutions currently in use release relatively little airborn iodine.
The patient is the major source of airborn iodine.  One exception,
capsules are "not buffered".  In a dry state, there can be
significant releases from vials containing capsules.

Airborn levels should remain within acceptable levels.  We have yet
to see a problem with uptake in our nursing staff, even with
difficult patients.

>      RadSafe,
>
>      I am with the Rad. Safety Div. in the Occ. & Env. Safety Office at
>      Duke Univ.  I am working on a radioiodine (I-131) project looking at
>      the therapeutic use of I-131 in the hospitals.  One of the aspects of
>      the project will be air sampling in patient rooms after the patient
>      has been dosed.
>
>      At this point in time I am considering going with a low vol. sampler
>      (around 2 lpm) using activated charcoal tubes in conjunction with HEPA
>      filters.  Does this sound like a good idea (or not)?
>
>      I would graciously welcome information/advice anyone might have
>      regarding this type of air sampling (i.e. equipment use, flow rates,
>      sample times, and any other suggestions)
>
>      My e-mail address is brind002@mc.duke.edu
>
>      Thanks,
>
>      Jim Brindle

Jerry Rosen