Dose constraint for the public

Hi radsafers,

The EPA in New South Wales is proposing to introduce a dose constraint of
0.3 mSv/y for members of the public. The dose limit is currently 1 mSv/y (as
per ICRP 60). One implication of the dose constraint is that all shielding
calculations will have to be carried out using the new value of 0.3 mSv/y as
the integrated dose in areas with an occupancy factor of 1.

I would be interested to learn of the dose constraints for shielding that
are in place (or are proposed) elsewhere in the world. For example, can
anyone tell me the limits in the recently released Euratom Directive on
Basic Safety Standards?

Richard Smart PhD
Department of Nuclear Medicine
St. George Hospital