Re[2]: info

     Certainly personal air sampling is a much better method of plutonium
     detection than any type of bioassay.  The sensitivity of the detection
     of activity on the filter itself is quite low, combined with the
     intake retention fraction equal to the sample pump flow rate divided
     by reference man's breathing rate.  With the 20 l/m breathing rate,
     this would result in an IRF of 0.1 for a 2 l/m sample pump rate.
     Compare this to orders of 10^06 or less for urinalysis.  Fecal
     analysis is much better, although much less pleasant, but, I
     understand, is now being implemented at some sites.  Also, the IRF for
     lung counting is greater than 0.1, but the MDA's can be as high as 100
     nCi, almost useless for bioassay purposes.

     The other advantage of personal air sampling is that, properly used,
     it can be a much more timely method of detection.  Any alpha spec on
     excreta samples usually takes 3 days or more on an emergency basis.  A
     contract laboratory may take up to 60 days to complete the analysis
     and report the results.  Personal air samples can be analyzed weekly,
     providing a timely indication of intake.  Using repetative alpha
     counting to account for the radon componant, they can even be analyzed
     daily, if necessary.

     Here ends the lesson.

     Gus Potter
     Sandia National Laboratories