Urine Sampling - Normalization

     One can normalize urine samples based on time, volume, creatinine,
     specific gravity, or other more unusual parameters.  The issue really
     is which one is most appropriate?

     At Hanford, we normalize based on time, using the last voiding before
     retiring through the first voiding upon rising in the morning, for two
     nights running.  We refer to this as a "simulated 24-hour period"
     though the term could reply to any normalized result.  Medley,
     Kathren, and Miller (Health Physics 67(2)122-130) argued that this
     underestimates total excretion by 15-20%.  That conclusion is not
     surprising if you believe that the true time represented by the sample
     interval more likely runs from 7-10 hours, rather than 12 hours.
     Check yourselves on this point!

     Normalizing based on volume is a real problem because the volume does
     vary substantially, depending on the liquid consumption, activity
     level, etc.  It's my opinion that volume variations are a lot more
     erratic and unpredictible than the time variations.

     Adjustment based on specific gravity was briefly investigated by Graul
     and Stanley in 1982 (Am.Ind.Hyg.Assoc.J, 43(11):863).  They concluded
     that it wasn't a good method for normalizing.

     Recently, Esther Kim at Savannah River conducted a study,
     "Determination of Time Interval of Urine Sample by Measuring
     Creatinine in Urine," (ESH-HPT-950007, Westinghouse Savannah River
     Company). Esther concluded that creatinine was no better than the
     other normalizing techniques- it was not nearly as constant as tribal
     memory seems to believe.  Contact Esther or Tom LaBone for a copy - I
     don't think they have published it in the peer-reviewed literature.

     Bottom line- I still like the simulated 24-hour sample for convenience
     or data interpretation and requiring the least manipulation for use.
     Granted, it's a little inconvenient for the worker, but not as
     inconvenient as a true 24-hour sample. It provides for collection of
     enough urine that you can get a reasonable detection capability.  (As
     Liz Brackett noted, a single void urine sample for Pu is not likely to
     give you a satisfactory MDA.)  I believe that trying to use a single
     void urine sample for routine Pu bioassay monitoring is essentially
     worthless.  Single voids are great for tritium, and may have a place
     for soluble uranium - but not for Pu!

        Gene Carbaugh
        Internal Dosimetry
        Pacific Northwest National Laboratory