Re: Volatility of Americium -Reply

To receive DOT special form designation (49 CFR 173.469), sealed sources
must pass the 800 degree C heat test with negligible release of radioactive
material.
You can check Tables 1 and 4 in ANSI N43.6 "Sealed Radioactive Sources,
Categorization," to see what temperature tests normal form sealed sources
must pass for typical uses.

Kurt Geber
kg1@ornl.gov