Re: Minors

Kimberly A. Kulpanowski wrote:
>I would like to know if my fellow radsafers allow minors to work with C-14.
>Thank you.

At the University of California, Irvine, we occasionally have high school
students and minor grad/undergrad students who work in labs.  Our Radiation
Safety Committee has set the policy that a minor must be at least 16 years
old to handle radioactivity (e.g., the age for getting a driver's license in
California).  Minors under 16 are only allowed to observe experiments.

We require minors to get parent/guardian consent to do this, and the consent
form has boxes for the parent/guardian to check authorizing work or
observation, as appropriate, and statements certifying that their child will
complete all radiation safety training requirements.

We would not permit the minor to do iodinations or to handle large amounts
of activity.

Frank E. Gallagher, III, CHP
Manager, Radiation Protection
  and Radiation Safety Officer

University of California, Irvine
Environmental Health & Safety Office    Phone:  (714) 824-6904
300 University Tower                    Fax:    (714) 824-8539
Irvine, CA   92697-2725                 E-mail: fegallag@uci.edu