Free Release Statistics

Fellow Radsafers,

I have been approached with yet another dilemma.  A potential client is
desiring to "clean up" an old stockpile of radium contaminated material.  There
is approximately 168,000 ft3 of scrap. The cheapest methodology, in the eyes of
the client, is to consider all materials contaminated and dispose of the waste
accordingly.  I have been asked to provide a cost analysis to perform screening
of this scrap.

Has anyone been successful, or know of documentation, that will allow a
percentage of the material to be surveyed and then the rest be declared  as
"clean".

Please respond to me directly unless you feel the information is pertinent to
all subscribers of radsafe.

Mark B. Mattheiss
Health Physicist
Dames & Moore, Denver