RE: Averill's Editorial

          I'm saddened and embarassed to see arguments such as the one
          appearing in Averill's editorial embraced by anyone associated
          with the radiological protection community.  Once again, we see a
          failure to understand the difference between deterministic and
          stochastic effects.

          The production of thermal burns is essentially a threshold
          process - injury occurs when the organ's rate of repair or
          defense (in this case, the ability to reject or transfer heat) is
          exceeded.  It is a threshold process in which the appearance of
          acute injury can be fairly well established (look at the warning
          labels on many new showers).  Above the threshold, the severity
          of the injury increases with increasing temperature up to a point
          where complete destruction of the organ (or organism) occurs.
          Using an example such as this to attack the linear-no threshold
          theory is irresponsible and, in my mind, could represent a form
          of malpractice.

          The reference to the Finish radon study is also unfortunate.  The
          study lacks sufficient statistical power to either accept or
          reject the null hypothesis of no effect.  For a review of this
          paper, refer to the Continuing Education Lecture given by Dan
          Strom at the Health Physics Society Meeting last week in Seattle
          (dj_strom@pnl.gov).

          I also think its equally irresponsible to apply LNT concepts to
          miniscule environmental doses and calculate horrendous collective
          doses that have little, if any bearing on reality.  The LNT
          hypothesis is a tool, and, like any tool can be misused with
          unfortunate results.  The concept of collective dose - an idea
          which is predicated on the use of a linear model for health
          effects - is useful and appropriate in many situations,
          particularly when dealing with occupationally exposed
          individuals.  See NCRP Report No. 121 (1995) for a thorough
          discussion on the uses and misuses of collective dose.

          Certainly one would never equate the effect of one person-sievert
          to one or two individuals to the same dose delivered to one or
          two hundred.  On the other hand, we frequently consider reducing
          the number of workers engaged in an activity, even when
          individuals doses might be somewhat higher in order to reduce
          collective dose.

          In the IRPA IX Sievert Lecture  (reprinted in Health Physics
          71(2):122-125), Beninson states "The linear non-threshold
          relationship is at present the best tool to predict risk
          probability at low doses.  It fulfills all the requirements to be
          considered "realistically representative" using modeling
          terminology.  Practical decisions can be made using this
          relationship, and the radiation protection system recommended by
          the ICRP provides a method for such decisions."

          While I believe LNT to be a good tool for prospective purposes,
          it is inappropaiate to use LNT for retrospective risk
          calculations - especially individual risk calculations - because
          of the dependence on sex, age at exposure, age at onset and other
          individual risk factors (e.g., smoking, etc.)

          Instead of attacking the LNT hypothesis as a model for
          radiological protection, we should seek out and attack its
          inappropriate application.

          George J. Vargo, Ph.D., CHP
          Pacific Northwest National Laboratory