Re: Averill's Editorial

	I am pleased to see my cohort, George Vargo, contributing to the
discussion on the LNT model of radiation injury.  It is important to
specifically respond to the criticism that "Once again, we see a failure to
understand the difference between deterministic and stochastic effects."
This is probably an unfounded criticism for most of the radiation
protection community, but it is certainly unfounded for those of us in the
medical field who intentionally deliver radiation to patients every day to
realize medical and health benefits.  Those of us with long careers in
radiation therapy may have seen as many as 30,000 or more radiation
threshold effects in our patients.  Almost every patient experiences
deterministic effects during treatment.

	I know of no failure to understand the difference between
deterministic effects and stochastic effects among those who debate the
scientific merit, or lack of it, in the LNT model.  For those who believe
that science and reasoned principals do not support the LNT model, chronic
radiation injury is not a stochastic effect.  In the present context, if
the process is stochastic, it is described by the LNT model.  If the
process is not described by the LNT model, then it is not stochastic.

	It is interesting that the Averill article "saddened and
embarrassed" George since he apparently does not believe that science supports
the LNT model either:  "I also think it is equally irresponsible to apply
LNT concepts to miniscule environmental doses and calculated horrendous
collective doses [and corresponding hypothetical cancers] that have little,
if any, bearing on reality."  Unfortunately such applications may be what the
LNT model directs "responsible people" to do.  This is exactly what our
governmental agencies do based on what we scientists tell them.  No one
would cry "foul" if radiation injury models (that match the scientific data
fairly well for acute exposures from a few hundred mGy to a few Gy) were
used only where they are scientifically supported.  But the scientifically
unsound and unreasonable extrapolations that the LNT model encourages
perplex and offend many in the radiation protection community.

	Questioning whether or not chronic radiation injury is stochastic
or deterministic (described or not described by the LNT model) is not
tantamount to "malpractice."  Don't the cancers for which we have the
largest number of cases and amounts of data (leukemia and bone sarcomas)
show thresholds?  There is no "malpractice" in questioning the scientific
soundness of the LNT model.  That's what science does:  It Questions!

	No perspective should be censored.  The pubic and our brothers and
sisters in the radiation protection community should have full access to
sound science and perspectives.

	Again, I appreciate George Vargo's contribution to the debate.  I
encourage everyone to provide meaningful, civil input.

David S. Gooden