Re: Nonlinear alphas

	If the principal mechanism for cell killing is passage of a
single alpha particle, the probability for a cell to be killed must be
linearly proportional to dose. If a single alpha particle has a
probability of not killing a cell = p and a probability of causing a cancer
if the cell is not killed =q, the probability of it causing a cancer is
p x q. Then the probability of N alpha particles causing a cancer is
N x p x q, which is proportional to N, and therefore linearly
proportional to dose.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh