Re: Job Availability or Lack Thereof

Hi all,

As much as the number of job placement ads in the newsletter are not a
good measure of the number of jobs, I wonder if the thickness of
the resume book at the annual meeting is a good measure of the number of
people looking for work. And is there some assumption that all the HPs
putting Job Wanted ads in the Newsletter get one?

I suggest asking those who have put out ads how many responses they have
gotten, or asking those looking for work how many jobs there are or how
many recent graduates have gotten jobs.

Out of the last several jobs recently on Radsafe, one was for Colorado
Residents only (at CSU), one HP position and the others have been tech
positions. Not that HPs with MSs are not applying for tech jobs, I can
assure you they are.  And there was a recent announcement for a good
position in Saudi Arabia, which I know several people are applying for.

I think it would be safe to say that Radsafe is a good place to
advertise jobs, I know *many* people on here who either are looking for
work, or know people who are.

We offer a free service to list any and all jobs for HP and HP techs at
our web site. Free, 24 hours a day. We currently have only a few position
listed, but we do have some. The "no" job idea of course is not true. But
how many, in comparison to the number of people looking?  Anyone who has a
job opening can contact us, and we will make sure you get more than two
applications for it! Our list of jobs gets hundreds of "hits" per month.
So, either there is one very desperate person looking for work, or there
are many people who are.

I wonder if we can get ORAU/ORISE permission to put their last man-power
report on the web? I saw last years, and it was not a rosey picture, not
that it is not tight all over.

-Bruce Busby
 http://www.sph.umich.edu/~bbusby/

Our Jobs Lists: