Zirconium Oxide - Thanks

I wish to thank all of you who supplied
information about the ZrO(2?).  Oh and your
right it was trace amounts of U and Th that was
giving of the 50 micro/rem.  Some of you may
be happy to hear the manufacturer has agreed
to take back the material.  Now it will go back
into industry and us tax payers won't have to
pay for disposal.

Mark Winslow
US EPA - Region II

ps. I think the risk level of 1E-6 to 1E-4 was set
by congress.  Because of rounding you can get
away with using 3E-4, which is common.  I
personally have no qualms with the risk
numbers I just don't like the LNTM or the dose
modeling codes.  Together you compound
conservatism and come out with clean up levels
that are just wacky.

The above words are mine and mine alone.  IE
not from the EPA.