Re: western power outage

Per Mike McNaughton's questions on Xenon, it depends on plant size,
core life and administrative commitments. Xenon "builds in" to the
core after a trip, so if the plant can start up rapidly, say within 12
hours, it can start "burning" it off before too much negative
reactivity accumulates. If the plants administrative burdens requires
investigations and approvals, they will wait a couple days. It is
easier with a new core to beat Xenon because they can dilute boron
to offset the reactivity; end of life cores cannot.

As for your second question, I know gas plants can come back immediately,
but I do not know about coal.

Scott E. Bradley  (817) 897-5495            TU Electric
Beeper: (817) 667-0659                      PO Box 1002
E-Mail: sbradle1@tuelectric.com             MC M37
    OR: ustuibvv@ibmmail.com                Glen Rose, TX 76043