Re: RADSAFE digest 1027

--- Eric wrote:
... we have every visitor sign in showing their
(name, affiliation, date)... and when the
reactor is in operation above 1kW ... we will
issue one dosimeter to each group and at the end of the tour it will be
read and recorded by a member of the reactor facility staff.
--- end of quoted material ---

That is almost exactly what we do at Reed College, with the exception that we
issue _two_ pocket dosimeters to each group to account for error and mishap
(i.e., dropping it).

The training consists of what the dosimeter is and how it works. We equate the
possibility of 1-2 mrem dose to a cross country airline flight or a vacation in
Denver (not that anyone really gets 2 mrem, but occasionally the dosimeters
read that).

You are right - the log book can be a bother. We have had up to 50 visitors at
a time too! Since most of our tours are 30-60 minutes, the extra 5 minutes
completing the log is endurable. If the tour is scheduled in advance you can
have them complete the log before they come.

By the way, we almost always run the reactor for visitors to "show the glow".

Stephen G. Frantz
Director, Reed Reactor
Reed College
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd.