Re: Radon Study in Finland

At 13:13 1996-07-17 -0500, you wrote:
>In the paper this a.m. there was an AP article about a study (in today's
>Journal of NCI) on Radon in Finland which showed the EPA recommended
>exposure limit was much too low.  Does anyone have the citation (Vol.,
>page) or can post a copy, or know of a web site to view the article?
>

>PAUL SKIERKOWSKI
>ENVIRONMENTAL SAFETY SERVICES         OOOOO       EEEE
>UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA               O     O      E     SSSS
>905 ASP AVE., ROOM 112               O  U  O  U   EEEE  S     SSSS
>NORMAN, OK  73019-0420               O  U  O  U   E     SSSS  S
>405-325-1015   FAX - 7238             OOUOO   U   EEEE  S     SSSS
>                                        U     U         SSSS  S
>PAUL@ESS-LAN.STUDIES.UOKNOR.EDU          UUUUU                SSSS

Paul,

I have been away for four weeks and so I find your e-mail only today. I am
well acquainted with the radon problem in Finland, but I do not understand
your conclusion, that a study on this problem would show, that the EPA
recommended limits are much too low. When it comes to questions of limits
then quite a few factors have to be considered - mitigation costs not being
the least important ones. The circumstances in different countries may be
extremely different and the Finnish situation is quite different from the US
situation.

This comment does not imply that I think that the EPA recommendation makes
sense!!!!

Could you explain your comment? I send this deliberatley to Radsafe, because
I think that a broader discussion on the radon limit philosophy might be useful.

Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Radiochemistry
Vienna, AUSTRIA
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7