Re: 3M Static Meter Disposal

Here's an email I received from 3M.  I suppose anyone can use it ....

3M will take back your 3M Model 703 Static Meters at our St. Paul, MN
facilities in accordance with the provisions of U.S. NRC License
22-00057-03 which expires on September 30, 2002.

Each meter contains a 200 millicurie tritium source in titanium tritide
foil form and qualifies as "excepted radioactive material, instruments
and articles" in accordance with the provisions of 49 CFR 173.422 and
173.424 of the U.S. DOT regulations.  As such, your meters are exempt
from specification packaging, shipping paper and certification, and
marking and labeling requirements of the DOT regulations.

To ship the device to us, the following procedures should be used:

        1.      First, ensure each 703 meter is still labeled with a
legible "Caution-Radioactive Material" label.  If not, place another
label on the meter (not on the case).

        2.      The meters should be shipped, if possible, in their
instrument cases.  If the cases are not available, placing them in a
box as described in Item 3 below is acceptable.

        3.      Place the meter cases containing the meters (or
meters) in a strong tight cardboard box and add packing material as
necessary to prevent movement during shipment.

        4.      Prepare a notice to be inserted inside the box that
contains both the name and address of you as the consignor and
contains the statement "This package conforms to the conditions and
limitations specified in 49 CFR 173.424 for radioactive material,
excepted package-instruments or articles, UN2910".

        5.      Close the box with conventional package staples and/or
packaging tape and address the box to 3M, Health Physics Services, 3M
Center, Building 260-6C-12, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000, Attention:  D. J.
McGrane.

        6.      Ship the box by UPS.  The shipping papers need to
include only the description "Instruments".  No mention has to made of
it being radioactive material.

When we receive the meter, we will provide you with a letter
documenting its receipt.  The meter will be processed as radioactive
waste in accordance with the provisions of 3M's NRC license and Parts
20 and 61 of Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations at no cost to
you other than the cost to ship it to 3M.

If you have questions, please contact me at 612/733-7316.

Duane C. Hall, Manager
dchall@mmm.com
Tad  Blanchard              /__ \ /___\    NASA-Goddard Space Flt Ctr
Nat'l Health Svc, Inc            O             Greenbelt, Maryland
Sr Health Physics Tech          / \            Phone: 301-286-9157
                               /___\
                  Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov