Contaminated Shipments

Carl,

> A damaged package is another matter-Don't accept it!

Please let  me vehemently  disagree.   A  damaged  radioactive  material
package represents  a potential  exposure and/or  contamination problem.
By not  accepting the package the potential problem has been transferred
from someone  who can  properly assess and manage the "damaged package,"
i.e. the  authorized 'licensed'  recipient, to someone who does not have
the immediate  expertise nor  knowledge on  how to  manage the  "damaged
package," i.e.  the carrier.   By  refusing the  "damaged  package"  the
potential health physics situation has been exacerbated.

In the  case of  FedEx,  personnel  are  trained  to  recognize  "damage
hazardous material/dangerous  goods packages,"  take appropriate initial
measures, and  notify FedEx  management.   Unfortunately this  does  not
always occur.   When  it does  please accept  the damaged  package.  Any
questions  concerning  return  of  the  package,  shipping  charges,  or
whatever can be worked out later after the health physics questions have
been resolved.

In many  cases where  I have been notified of a "damaged package" in the
FedEx system  and that  package is  at the  destination station  I  will
request the  assistance of the recipient and either arrange for delivery
of the package to him if feasible, based on my assessment of the damage,
or I  may request that the recipient go to our FedEx location and assess
the "damaged  package."  In all cases my objective is to get the damaged
package out  the transport  system and into the hands of a knowledgeable
party that can make the appropriate health physics assessments.

A recipient accepting a "damaged radioactive material package" is simply
'good' health physics.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant
Federal Express Corporation